Kinds of information collected and held by TEQSA
TEQSA collects and holds personal information for three main purposes. These purposes are to perform TEQSA’s regulatory and quality assurance functions, to manage the operations of TEQSA as an Australian Public Service agency and to comply with legislation or other laws.
The kinds of information TEQSA collects and holds are:
- For TEQSA’s regulatory and quality assurance functions, information relating to provider case management, regulatory complaints and enquiries and information obtained as part of TEQSA’s annual Provider Information Request.
- For the management of TEQSA as an Australian Public Service Agency, personnel records, financial management records, consultancy services records and legal services records.
- To comply with legislation or other laws, records of requests for access under the Freedom of Information Act 1982.
How TEQSA collects and holds information
Information relating to the performance of TEQSA’s regulatory functions is usually collected from regulated entities, from publicly available sources or from other agencies or bodies with functions relevant to higher education or the regulation of higher education. These include the Department of Education and other bodies specified in TEQSA’s Information Guidelines.
Other information is usually collected directly from the individual unless:
- the individual has consented to the collection, or
- it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so, for instance where TEQSA obtains an individual’s contact details from an entity listed on TEQSA’s register of experts.
We only collect personal information which is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, our functions or activities under the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency Act 2011 (TEQSA Act) or the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000 (ESOS Act).
Use and disclosure of personal information by TEQSA
We only use personal information for the purposes for which we collected it - purposes which are directly related to one of our functions or activities.
For information obtained for the purposes of TEQSA’s regulatory and quality assurance functions, TEQSA may disclose the information to:
- Commonwealth, state or territory agencies with responsibility for the regulation of education (including the Department of Immigration, and the Australian Skills Quality Authority), for the purposes of informing assessment of the application
- Credit rating agencies, for the purpose of checking credit history information of applicants or related entities
- Experts contracted by TEQSA for the purpose of providing advice to inform assessment of the application.
TEQSA has a Memorandum of Understanding with the Productivity Commission to perform information technology services, financial processing and human resources management services. TEQSA discloses personnel information and financial management information to the Productivity Commission for the performance of these services.
TEQSA does not give personal information to other Government agencies, private sector organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- the individual has consented
- the individual would reasonably expect, or has been told, that information of that kind is usually passed to those individuals, bodies or agencies
- it is otherwise required or authorised by law
- it will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody's life or health, or
- it is reasonably necessary for the enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the protection of public revenue.
It is unlikely the records TEQSA holds that contain personal information will be disclosed to any overseas recipients.
We take all reasonable steps to protect the personal information we hold against loss, unauthorised access, use, modification or disclosure, and against other misuse.
When the personal information that we collect is no longer required, we destroy or delete it in a secure manner, in accordance with the Archives Act 1983, including based on TEQSA’s Records Authority, and the Privacy Act.
The TEQSA is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act.
How to contact us
For further information, or to make a complaint about TEQSA’s handling of personal information, contact us at the address below:
Privacy Contact Officer
Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency
GPO Box 1672
Melbourne VIC 3001