International quality assurance agencies visit TEQSA, QBBG
On 17-18 October 2016, TEQSA hosted the fifth meeting of the Quality Beyond Boundaries Group (QBBG). QBBG is an international network of quality assurance agencies from the UK, Singapore, Dubai, Hong Kong, the USA and Australia.
TEQSA is an active member of QBBG and plays an important role in protecting the reputation of Australia’s higher education sector particularly assuring the quality of education for students.
Topics discussed included academic integrity and its challenges on a global scale, perspectives from working with Government in different jurisdictions, better frameworks for transnational data collection and the comparability of data across jurisdictions.
Invited guests from the British Council, New Zealand Qualifications Authority, the International Education Association of Australia and representatives of Heriot-Watt University and Australian Universities and higher education providers addressed QBBG members throughout the forum.
TEQSA develops cooperative relationships with overseas regulatory and quality assurance agencies, governments and other related bodies, with whom it shares information on the rigour of the Australian regulatory system.
Australia has an impressive history of international engagement in higher education, including extensive experience in the delivery of higher education to international students, quality assurance and regulatory systems, and higher education through offshore delivery arrangements.
Purpose of QBBG
- The purpose of the QBBG is to establish a network of international quality assurance agencies to better address common challenges and achieve the following:
- Opportunities associated with cross border higher education.
- Better understanding and sharing of knowledge such as the policies and practices of member agencies;
- Information sharing: communication and sharing of information especially on common institutions in each other’s jurisdictions to reduce regulatory burden, duplication of work and improve cost efficiencies.
- Collaborative projects: Identify specific projects to encourage collaboration between agencies.
Members of QBBG include:
- Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) from Australia
- Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) of Dubai
- Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) from the UK
- Committee for Private Education (CPE) from Singapore
- Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ)
- Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA)
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) from USA
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC) from USA.